Editorial Comment about The Harmon Chronicle Blog

Last month we talked about ways of having more family togetherness that would add to the day-to-day banter of WhatsApp.  A second idea that will likely take place is to have a bi-monthly Zoom meeting so we can talk to each other face-to-face.  The third idea was to have a family blog for serious, non-political commentary that the rest of the family can weigh-in on.  Since there are so many family legends floating around, I suggest that most of the contributions will be historical in nature.  Therefore, I hereby introduce The Harmon Chronicle blog, the title of which was borrowed from an article written by Robert and Scott in 1990. 


                                           THE HARMON CHRONICLE  

                  12 Nov. 1990

Editorial by Robert Harmon condemning the Hercules Construction Co. for turning the beautiful forest between Hickory Lane and Walnut Hill into a waste land and the town of Madison for allowing these pirates to get paid for destroying the earth.


Tribute to the Four War Veterans in the Family: Frank N. Harmon (WWI), Lindsey Anderson (WWII), Frank W. Harmon (WWII) and Dad Harmon (Korean War) by Scott and Robert Harmon, 


Page listings top 25 football teams, as well as local and the NBA teams


Good Luck send off for Jen Harmon as she prepared to attend Wellesley College in the fall  by Scott Harmon

 

Letters To the Editor: 

I would like to complain about the unruly dogs in our neighborhood. One of these takes our morning paper out of the paper tube, drools on the front page, and then scatters the paper on the front lawn.  I urge the public spirited citizens of Madison to pass an ordinance banning dogs from areas where there are newspapers. 

Name Upheld


Classified

Wanted.   10 year old boy, 12 year old boy and a 17 year old girl to rake leaves, empty and load dishwasher, feed cats canned and dry, vacuum, clean bathrooms, keep shoes and socks out of living room and clean their rooms. Unlimited pay as long as you take it in whole wheat bread, powdered milk, cracked wheat cereal, lentil soup and tofu steak. Call 421-3214 after 6:00 p.m. 


DAILY HOROSCOPE by Astrologer  Robert Harmon.  . . 

ARIES (Mar 21- April 19):  Beware of a monkey in a plaid suit who tries to sell you car insurance.  Be sure to watch Star Trek tomorrow for some useful information..


TAURUS (April 20 - May 20)  Look for a man in a rooster costume on busy street corner.  He can help you.  Stay inside tomorrow, you may be  kidnapped by midget Contras in gorilla suits. 


GEMINI (May 21 - June 20) :  When you go to that winter fiesta tomorrow, don’t wear a sombrero, wear a top hat, it could mean your life.  A visit to the Aederondak Mtns. could calm your nervousness.


CANCER (June 2 - July 22):  Cancel that errand  you were going to run the doughnut store, you could be kidnapped by aliens from Mars.  If you clean out your sock drawer today, you will find the answer to your problems.


CAPRICORN (Dec. 22 - Jan. 19):  Beware of a man dressed up like a can of sardines today.  Also, tomorrow when you go to that party, beware of the cheese dip.

Comments

  1. I love the pictures and the funny entries! I'm not really familiar with blogs....I hope I can figure it out! I am a student and lover of GRATITUDE! When Maddie was little, she said this once in a prayer: we are thankful for gratitude, because then we can always be happy! True, my Little Maddie! I want to share an experience I had a few weeks ago. I drove into the Mesa/Gilbert valley for the whole day. I had many, many errands that I had to do. One that ended up derailing my whole day was that a former renter of our cabin left a table at the cabin and I offered to meet them somewhere (they live downtown Phoenix) and give them the table. Well they ended up asking if I could just drop the table at their house. It wasn't remotely convenient but I finally agreed. I eventually ended up about 2 1/2 hours away from home and I missed meeting up with Malena and missed my Book Club. Many things went wrong that day, including waiting in 4 very long lines! As I was finally driving home (arrived at about 11 p.m.), I was grumbling about all the things that had gone wrong. You may know that one of my favorite sayings is Whatever You Focus on EXPANDS! So I was marinating in my frustrations, and they were multiplying! Then I had a thought that I should start counting all the things that HADN'T gone wrong that day.....I didn't feel like doing that! I was crabby and I wanted to stay crabby because I deserved it! I finally talked myself into it. I grudgingly thought "well I didn't get in a car accident...at least not yet!" Then I started picturing how MUCH WORSE everything would have been with a car accident thrown in. I decided that that was a true plus! Then I added....at least I didn't catch COVID today....that I know of ...YET! Then for 2 hours, I said out loud all the things I could think of that had truly gone right! By the time I arrived home, my heart was much less troubled and I truly felt grateful for many, many, many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janice I hope that the people whose table you delivered were thankful! Probably not, what a day! Your method of gratitude is terrific, I'll definitely try that next time I'm in a grump.

      Delete
  2. Oh that's the funniest thing I've ever read!! What geniuses we have that wrote it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts